Diabetes Mellitus has many different causes and risk factors depending on the type of Diabetes. Some people are at more risk than others:
- Obesity: Being overweight or Obese combined with poor eating habits leads to more young people being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes
- Hypertension: when combined with Obesity and diabetes a person is said to have Syndrome X or Metabolic Syndrome
- Genetic Risk: Type 2 diabetes is usually passed from one generation to the next in genetically susceptible individuals
- Infections: Certain childhood infections like Rotavirus, Mumps and Cytomegalovirus infections are associated with Type 1 Diabetes
- Smoking and alcohol: they negatively affect the quality and quantity of insulin production
- Pregnancy: some people develop Diabetes soon after they get pregnant in what is termed Pregnancy induced Diabetes Mellitus.
- Stress: an increase in cortisol levels due to chronic Social stress causes insulin resistance and later Diabetes