There are many signs and symptoms of Diabetes Mellitus which develop slowly over time. There are Three Main types of Diabetes Mellitus which share most of the symptoms but some symptoms and signs are only found on the specific Types of Diabetes.
In Diabetes blood sugar (glucose) is elevated, which then leads to symptoms of high blood sugar and symptoms of a damage in some Body organs caused by high blood sugar. The cause of high blood sugar is explained Here.
Main Signs of Diabetes
The following signs and symptoms develop over few weeks to a few months and are caused by High blood sugar:
- Increased thirst and frequent urination: this is because the body is trying to get rid of the excess sugar through filtration by kidneys and production of large quantities of urine. Medical terms for Increased Urination and thirst are Polyuria and Polydipsia respectively.
- Fruity smell of the urine: glucose is a chemical compound that has a distinct fruity smell to it. Sometimes the smell comes from the Ketones that the body produces as a waste product from generating energy using other means instead of glucose.
- Increased hunger: medically is called Polyphagia, it happens because the body cells and brain are starving even though there is literally more than enough blood sugar to utilize. The reason for that is the body does not have enough insulin which is needed to drive glucose into the cells for use as energy.
Other Signs of diabetes Mellitus
The longer the diabetes is not treated, the more the damage in the body happens which manifest as symptoms that makes the attending doctor suspect Diabetes. If you have one or more of the following symptoms, you should consult the doctor or check your Blood glucose:
- Fatigue or tiredness
- Vaginal itching
- Blurry vision
- Loss of weight for Type 1 diabetes
- Skin infections or worsening Acne
Diabetes is a serious medical condition that needs to be diagnosed and treated by qualified Medical Practitioners. When untreated, it can lead to serious complications and eventually death.
Ask any questions Regarding Diabetes in the comments section or on Facebook
One thought on “7 Signs of Diabetes Mellitus”